Monday, August 10, 2009

Sketchbook 10/08/09


The Dead Sea Scrolls are a collection of ancient writings containing prayers, hymns and religious laws. … The Scrolls are important to Judaism, Christianity and Islam because they contain the earliest accounts of biblical patriarchs and prophets who are known to all three of the Abrahamic faiths.
Excerpt from the Dead Sea Scrolls program

Ok, I've stated it in the past that I'm not a big fan of Daniel Lebskind's addition to the Royal Ontario Museum, but the exhibition space for the Dead Sea Scrolls in the second level basement, took my breathe away. The ambiance was amazing. The scrolls were located at the end of a serpentine route, with artifacts from the same era displayed at the beginning and the actual scrolls displayed at the end, in individual display cases.

I was one of the first ones to enter the exhibition and rushed to the end so i could see the scrolls without the crowds... and as it happened this scene was too good to pass up to sketch. With the dimmed lights, music and the sculptural quality of the columns, coupled with the actual scrolls made this a memorable visit.

Needless to say, it was a little difficult drawing and painting in the dark and I was pleased that I didn't mangle this drawing when I reviewed it in daylight. (the detailed elements such as the striped t-shirt and type were added in the Museum cafe).


Something I did after the Scrolls drawing just to reaffirm my ability to draw in a tighter fashion (aka, anally)

No comments: