Friday, October 09, 2009

sketchbook 09/10/09


Went to the Dufferin/Gladstone library today. This definitely will be one of the locations I come to during the winter to sketch. Location 2. Check!

I drew this with a mechanical pencil and I didn't realize how unresponsive a MP can be. However, I got looser towards the end and that's when I started drawing the pople at the bottom. The Dufferin/Gladstone Library's s story foyer are is great for sketching pople from above. I'd like to call it the poor man's gesture drawing class.

6 comments:

Dan Kent said...

All of it's good, but I just love that crowd!

Felicity Grace said...

Well the sketch is up to standard despite the pencil! I'm not a fan of mp's but the 2mm lead is quite nice to use (and probably the 3mm as well).

Unknown said...

You've found gold here, I think! Definitely looking forward to more of these!

Wilfred said...

Thank you all!.
Felicity, I'm curious why you aren't a fan of mp's?

Felicity Grace said...

Hi Wil, I guess it's the feel of the lead on the paper. The mp's don't feel so soft and smudgy and they have a silvery sheen that ordinary pencils don't have - or at least not to the same extent. I think (I don't know) that they have a slightly different make-up to ordinary pencil leads. The smallest leads I really don't like (it feels like drawing with the edge of a tin!), but I use the 2mm a lot of the time now. The Caran d'Ache leads come in H - 3B and the 2B feels the same as the HB in an ordinary pencil. But they are really handy to take outdoors as I can carry them in my bag and keep the lead retracted whereas I have to protect the tip of a normal pencil. It's all personal preference isn't it? - there are pros and cons so I swing one way then the other! :) I do like my 2mm 2B though, that's a nice all rounder!

Wilfred said...

Thanks, Felcity for your insight. I'll have to look for the Caran d'ache around here and try them out.
But I do agree with your assessment drawing with mp's feels like drawing with the edge of a tin.