Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Inspired by Dan, I broke out the arcylics that have been sitting in my apartment for a while.
I found a gargoyle on the web and thought it would be an appropriate first subject for my maiden voyage into acrylic paints. This image took a few days for me to get it to this point, and I think it's a bit heavy handed. In fact, the end result looks more like a painting that should have been done in oils because of the dense application of paint to the paper.
The learning curve was massive while I was painting this and I'm sure it's going to keeping on increasing as I continue to paint with acrylics.
I think I also have to invest in some better brushes. The set I used was a beginners set with 4 different types of hog bristles and 3 synthetic ones. The hog ones were falling apart and you could see some of the hairs embedded in the paint. I think I prefer the synthetics. They feel more like the watercolour brushes that I'm used to.