Thursday, February 10, 2011

An apple, or two, a day…

I've been working with acrylic paints lately and I have found it to be quite the challenge. A few factors inspired me to start this project: I was sick at the turn of the new year and I had a lot of apples in my fridge. The large scale painting I was/am working on has really discouraged me with acrylics and I needed something to bolster my confidence with this new medium. So I thought painting something everyday that had a clear starting and ending point on a smaller scale would help with my mindset.

So that's how the Apple a Day project came to be. After completing all 31 apple paintings, I assembled them to resemble the month of January 2011 and dated each canvas with the corresponding dates I painted them on.



42"x48", acylic on canvas.

And here are some of my favourite apples:






6 comments:

NightenGail said...

Those are really nice! They probably provide good practice with handling the medium, trying out glazing and painting with different consistencies. I particularly like #23. The shadow shapes are striking. How many colors did you use?

Danielle said...

i very much like #1,2 and 5 ghost like.

Dan Kent said...

Bravo! This is the way to tackle a new medium. I admire your ambition. And it's a great idea. It's hard to choose for me, since so many are so good in different ways. I just know one thing, no doctor could have been anywhere near you during that month even if you were sick. (you know, an apple a day..)

Zerlina said...

Very very cool!

debra morris said...

GREAT Wil love seeing one subject painted in lots of different ways, looks like you're feeling more comfortable with acrylic

Wilfred said...

Nigthengale-- thanks. #23 is growing on me and I have to say it's becoming one of my favourites as well. As for the colours, I primarily used 2: cadium red and pthalo blue. I think I used a bit of pthalo green for the shadows.

Danielle: thanks for dropping by.

Dan: haha. I was pretty healthy by the end of this project.

Z: boo.

debra-- it still is a challenge for me to see the colours of each apple properly. The project continues with a smaller version I'm working on now.